MADISON, Wis. – CUNA Mutual Group (Opens in new window) was honored today as a recipient of the Distinguished Performer Award for Diversity as part of the Deloitte Wisconsin 75 program (Opens in new window). This annual list recognizes the state’s largest private companies and showcases their positive impact on Wisconsin’s economy and communities they serve. This is the third consecutive year CUNA Mutual Group was honored as one of the six Distinguished Performers. The company was recognized for its community work in 2016 and its innovation in 2017.
“CUNA Mutual Group is focused on creating an inclusive, equitable, and diverse company that reflects the customers we serve, the partners we work with and the communities we reside in,” said Robert N. Trunzo, president and CEO, CUNA Mutual Group. “For us, it’s about recognizing and understanding differences, creating a welcoming and supportive environment for everyone and ensuring we all benefit together because of our differences. We are truly humbled and honored with this recognition from Deloitte Wisconsin 75.”
As part of an enterprise-wide diversity, equity and inclusion strategy, CUNA Mutual Group has developed a long-term focus and plan that includes a robust employee training curriculum, investments in resources and leadership development all covering areas such as race, gender, inclusion, discrimination and implicit bias.
To date, the company has introduced several innovative programs designed to inform, educate and engage employees on issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion. A few highlighted examples include:
- Launched 12 Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) led by employees to promote the personal and professional development of a diverse and inclusive mindset.
- Expanded employee benefits for new parents and transgender employees such as paternal leave, adoption benefits and domestic partner health benefits.
- Developed extensive training with human resource staff, hiring managers and people leaders to build awareness of how implicit bias may impact hiring decisions, performance and talent reviews.
- Launched the Inclusion Institute to provide employees with the knowledge, tools and resources needed to infuse the company’s diversity, equity and inclusion commitment into their personal and professional lives.
- Changed current recruiting and job posting processes at all levels of employment to build a more diverse pipeline of candidates for the hiring process.
- Recently contributed $20 million to the company’s foundation as an endowment to further partner with nonprofit organizations and expand support to organizations that focus on reducing economic and educational gaps.
“For CUNA Mutual Group, diversity, equity and inclusion aren’t just words, but rather what we do and how we do it. Fostering a culture where everyone feels welcome, connected, supported and valued reflects who we are as a company,” Trunzo said.
For more information about the Deloitte Wisconsin 75, please visit here (Opens in new window).
About CUNA Mutual Group:
CUNA Mutual Group is a financially strong insurance and investment company. For generations, we’ve partnered with credit union leaders to protect and grow their businesses, and help people plan, protect and invest for their future. CUNA Mutual Group offers commercial and personal insurance products; lending and payment security solutions; and retirement, investment and marketing services. Additional information about the company can be found at www.cunamutual.com.
CUNA Mutual Group is the marketing name for CUNA Mutual Holding Company, a mutual insurance holding company, its subsidiaries and affiliates. Life, accident, health and annuity insurance products are issued by CMFG Life Insurance Company and MEMBERS Life Insurance Company. Corporate headquarters are located in Madison, Wis.