A History of Commitment to Credit Unions
More than 80 years ago, credit union leaders sought to find affordable insurance protection for the then-fledgling credit union movement. That’s when CUNA Mutual Group was born.
Through the years a lot has changed, but CUNA Mutual Group’s commitment remains steadfast. We are here to help credit unions serve their members—better than anyone else can.
$30 Million in Annual Support1
Support for credit unions comes in all shapes and sizes.
- Providing needed funds for state leagues to operate successfully and serve credit unions
- Serving as Credit Union National Association’s (CUNA) single largest financial supporter
- Acting as Associate Member and Diamond Sponsor for the World Council of Credit Unions (WOCCU) Foundation
- Sponsoring key initiatives by National Credit Union Foundation (NCUF) to promote financial literacy and stability
- Serving as major contributor to Filene Research Institute to study issues important to credit unions
- Serving as primary underwriter for Cooperative Trust to develop young professional initiatives and passion for serving members in new and innovative ways
- Funding lobbying efforts and other initiatives to help ensure favorable legislation for credit unions on vital topics, such as:
o Tax exempt status of credit unions
o Critical mortgage lending reform
o IRS’s Unrelated Business Income Tax
o Bankruptcy legislation
o Regulation Z
16 Thousand Hours of Training1
Training and education remain central to enabling credit union success. That’s why CUNA Mutual Group invests in new training courses every year and provides them at no cost to credit unions, state leagues and associations. In 2014 alone, CUNA Mutual Group provided more than 16,560 hours of training.
16 Million Americans Protected2
We’re privileged to protect more than 16 million credit union members as they journey through life’s ups and downs. Over $1 billion was paid to credit unions and members in 2014, helping them cope with life’s changes and provide for their families.
Serving 96.9% of Credit Unions1
We began offering insurance coverage designed specifically for credit unions in 1935. As credit union needs have changed, so have our products and services. Today we offer everything from lending products to investment services to smartphone apps—to help credit unions deepen their relationships with members.
While some other insurance providers have come and gone, CUNA Mutual Group continues serving 96.9% of credit unions across America.
We’re honored to have earned the trust of thousands of credit unions over the past 80 years, and we look forward to serving them for many years to come.
Stats at a Glance:1, 2
- Protecting more than 16 million members
- Paying over $1 billion in benefits annually
- Serving 96.9% of all credit unions
- Training credit unions for over 16,560 hours
1CUNA Mutual Group internal reports, 2014
2CUNA Mutual Group internal reports, July 2015